
It sometimes seems like only yesterday that we got the call from Buckner--"your little boy is here!" Danny and I had taken a group of youth from 1st Baptist Troup to Glorietta NM. As we drove through Dallas on Saturday and passed those famous red brick buildings of Buckner Family Services, I turned to a friend and adoptive mom and said, "I wish they would call next week to tell us that our baby was born!" Little did I know that Britt was already in a hospital getting stronger and waiting on us to return home! Danny received the call the very next Monday telling us the wonderful news! Then we had to wait until Tuesday afternoon at 4 to pick him up in Dallas. That wait was so long but nothing compared to the 3 years we had waited on the adoption process to be complete or the 7 years we had longed for a baby. Our pastor and his wife and their 6 month old son drove us to Dallas so we could just enjoy getting to know Britt. It was a wonderful time in our lives. We have such marvelous memories of these last 31 years with Britt.
Of course, as with every birthday, I give thanks for the birthmom that so unselfishly decided it was best for him to be raised by someone else. After all of this time, I'm still in awe of that woman! I have a huge respect for her. I sometimes try to picture what she looks like as I look at our handsome son--who, as most of you know, looks so much like Danny! Britt seems very content with us as his parents. Oh, we went through those times of questions and wonderings from him and I always doubted how I handled them. But God in all of His wisdom gave me the answers that were needed at the time.
I think it's odd--no really I believe it was God--that put a book and a TV show in my life this past week about adoption. Both were such positive but heart wrenching situations where these very young ladies made the choice of adoption for their children. Tears flowed as I thanked God for these young girls and Britt's birthmom.
So, on this the 31st birthday of Britton Ray Elliott I say "Thank you, birthmom!" God has blessed us so much with a wonderful son. I could not have asked for a better baby boy!
P.S. God has done another marvelous work and woven the tapestry together when it comes to choosing Britt's life partner and the location for the wedding--more on that after Oct. 23rd!
1 comment:
i loved reading this. and i love you! so thankful for growing up around adoption through my cousin. hard to believe my sweet baby boys will one day grow up and be 31! :)
Post a Comment